What is "Green"?
Green building (also known as green construction or sustainable building) refers to a structure and process that is environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building's life-cycle: from siting to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and demolition. This practice expands and complements the classical building design concerns of economy, utility, durability, and comfort.
The Home Innovation Research Labs is an independent, ISO accredited, third-party inspection agency and building product testing laboratory with more than 50 years of experience testing and certifying building products, materials, and builders.
Homes that are NGBS Green Certified by Home Innovation are inspected twice to confirm that the green claim is true.
NGBS Green Certified Homes:
Are ENERGY EFFICIENT
- Heating/cooling systems, insulation, and appliances designed for efficiency and comfort
Are WATER EFFICIENT
- Designed to use less water inside and out
Are RESOURCE EFFICIENT
- Designed to reduce construction waste and optimize the use of natural resources
Have IMPROVED INDOOR AIR QUALITY
- Interior materials selected and installed to minimize indoor air pollutants
Have IMPROVED ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE
- Site design and development practices help reduce environmental impacts